Monday, December 27, 2010

Nothing Is As Over As Christmas

Click Here to Listen to the Sunday, December 26, 2010 Sermon by Pastor Chip Moody


Scripture Reference:  1Timothy 1:12-17


Nothing is as over as Christmas.

What are we left with after the decorations are taken down and the gifts are returned for exchange?  Is it back to business as usual?  Yes, as it must be. Christmas every day would mean the end of Christmas. It would simply be routine. 

But it should not be business as usual with our souls. We have just remembered and celebrated the most significant event of reality—the incarnation of God in Jesus Christ. It would be sad, but expected, that we  go back to how we were before we once again let Advent remind us of what is of first importance.

This is our annual opportunity to make a Promise to God. But to know what to promise God on this last day of the year, I would like to look at a decidedly non-Christmas scripture passage.

In it I believe we find not only the meaning of Christmas, but the meaning of life. And we find it expressed by one man who is perhaps more surprised than any other that he has a part in God’s family.

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-- of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.”   1 Timothy 1:12-17  

The Promise: Every day recognize Jesus as Savior.

We do it on Sundays as a church when we receive the Lord’s Supper. But you and I, individually, must every day set aside a moment to recognize Jesus’ coming.

How?  In your prayer closet, before your first cup of coffee, before you start your car on the way to work, at the moment you awaken. It doesn’t matter when. So long as it happens.

Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of which I am chief.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We encourage you to think through the challenges and ideas contained in the sermon and the blog, then share your comments, thoughts, and experiences.

But, please be respectful. Comments that disagree with the authors will be posted, because good discussion helps us all learn and grow. Comments that are rude, flaming or disrespectful will not be published.